navigation bar

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 27, 2012

Hummingbirds Visit Texas

As I sit enjoying my morning cup of coffee something caught my eye that seemed to zoom by the kitchen window.  There he was my favorite little bird, the Ruby Throated hummingbird. I love fall and spring in the South.  It is the time of year the hummingbirds make their way across Texas as they migrate to and from Mexico.  It is easy to put a couple of feeders in the backyard and enjoy the tiny creatures while they are here to visit for only a short while.

 Image Source: Birder's Lounge



This is an easy hummingbird nectar recipe that I like to use.
  1. Mix 4 parts water to 1 part table sugar in a pan.  For example, use 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water.  
  2. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat.  Stir it while it is heating until all of the sugar is dissolved.  Don't boil it for long because that will change the ratio as water is boiled off.  
  3. Allow to cool before using or pouring into the storage bottle.   
 Image: Source

I am off to find my feeders now.  Enjoy your week!

Pin It

1 comment: